Follow @TwitterDev

Sunday, April 30, 2017

MircoScout: Part 2: Broncos' Draft Picks 2-7


With the 2017 NFL Draft wrapped up, I present another edition of the MircoScout featuring the remaining picks of the Denver Broncos. In part one, I gave an exclusive analysis on their first round pick, Garett Bolles. In part two, I will give my analysis and grade on the individual players and the Broncos draft overall.

Round 2: DE, DeMarcus Walker

DeMarcus was selected out Florida State. I saw some comments about him being soft, and I'm not sure what the hell they were looking at. This guy is strong and explosive, especially on inside rushes. He has a quick first step, he hustles, and doesn't give up on plays. He's versatile; he can line up at both end positions, and can line up inside-- which is definitely useful, with his dominant push on inside rushes-- in passing situations.



On top of that, he had 16 sacks! The only problem I see is that it's easy to get inside and engulf him sometimes, due to his short reach. Overall, I love the pick. He seems to have the heart, physicality, and strong character that suits what the Broncos are looking for. He was the ACC Defensive Player of the Year for a reason. At first glance, he reminds me of Malik Jackson, which is funny because Elway has mentioned that he believes Walker will provide a similar productivity. Perhaps that's why he drafted him? If he turns out to be better, splendid. I encourage that. Grade: A

Round 3: WR, Carlos Henderson

Elway addressed another need, drafting Carlos out of Louisiana Tech. I've said in a previous blog that I wanted someone to complement Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders. I'm not confident in their corps outside of those two. Enlisted at 5-11, 199 pounds, this guy plays bigger than his size. He led the FBS in all-purpose yards last season. Another physical individual, he's tough as heck to tackle. If he's not ripping away from a player, he's juking, or spinning out of their grasp. He's a willing and physical blocker on run plays.


He has sure hands; does an excellent job of locating the ball, and can out muscle defensive backs on back shoulder throws. He's more quick than fast. He's much better moving laterally compared to his straight-line speed, which is why some "experts" believe he's going to have a hard time running past defenders on the next level. There's also questions on whether or not he's capable of running the entire route tree. We'll see.



He's a good, but not a great kick returner. He may not always take it to the house, but he will consistently put your offense in good field position, which is desperately needed on special teams. All in all, I believe this is another sneaky good pick by Elway. He reminds me a lot of recently retired Steve Smith. It's expected that he will help out in the return game, but I like him as the third receiver on the depth chart. I believe he can contribute right away. Grade: A

Round 3: CB, Brendan Langley

Brendan was drafted out of Lamar University. Coming from a small college, it was difficult finding tape on him, but from what I was able to see, enlisted at 6-0 201 pounds, he has decent size for a corner back. He shadows his man and can locate him when going downfield. He's solid in man and zone coverage. Rangy, he can leave his man to break up a pass that's going to another receiver.



He's an inconsistent tackler; his tackling was nearly text book on one video, he was diving at opponent's legs on another video. His recovery speed can improve. When running with his man, the receiver can get the drop on him, if he stops on a dime. Practically labeled as raw, but talented, he's expected to contribute on special teams initially, but I believe there's a future for him in the No Fly Zone. All of the physical tools are there, and with the current crop helping him smooth out the rough spots, he may be contributing regularly on the field faster than some think. Grade: B

Round 5: TE, Jake Butt

Judging from his last name, it's safe to assume that he endured a lot of teasing growing up, perhaps till this day, but that's besides the point. I just hope he doesn't play like one. Drafted out of Michigan, he was one of the top tight ends, and perhaps could've been drafted higher if it wasn't for his injury. (He's rehabilitating from a torn ACL). He has good hands, and he seems to have a way of sneakily finding seams underneath the defense. 


He can line up in multiple positions along the line, even flanking out in the slot position, which gives him several ways to make plays. I didn't see him create a lot of separation in his routes, it was just enough for him to secure the catch. He has adequate speed, and he's an adequate blocker. He gives a good effort in blocking, but he doesn't get enough depth in his blocks. He has a willingness to improve in this area, which I like.

I like the pick. Although personally, I don't see anything wrong with the guys they currently have (Virgil Green, A.J. Derby, and Jeff Heuerman), they don't get that many targets. However, Jake is a good addition, and it has been said that Elway got (yet) another steal. Grade: B+

Round 5: WR/KR, Isaiah McKenzie

I love, love, love this pick. The Broncos return game has absolutely SUCKED the past two seasons, and I believe Isaiah (aka "The Human Joystick") will definitely change that. He's an electrifying returner with blazing speed. I mean, this guy can fly. I don't know how much time he will see as a receiver, but he has good hands (led the Georgia Bulldogs in receptions, yards, and touchdowns last season) and with his speed, versatility, and electric explosion, it's going to be hard to keep him off the field, particularly on trick plays. Offensive coordinator Mike McCoy is going to have fun using him.



The reason for my uncertainty of how much he will see the field outside of returns is because of his extremely small frame at 5-7, 173 pounds, but again, with everything I mentioned above, it's going to be hard to keep him off the field. Elway wanted more explosive playmakers, and this is a slam dunk pick, in my opinion. Grade: A

Round 6: RB, De'Angelo Henderson

I sense another sneaky good draft pick from Elway. Drafted from a small school (Coastal Carolina), this guy is a C.J. Anderson clone, except he's a little smaller, but more explosive. At 5-8, 208 pounds, he uses his low center of gravity to his advantage, making it easy for him to slip through the gaps almost unnoticed, and his deceptive strength makes him more difficult to tackle.



The only issue I see is his size. He seems to be more of a chip blocker on passing downs, but this could be due to his small frame. I would like to see him hold up a little better in those situations. I believe drafting him made former Bronco RB Kapri Bibbs expendable-- he was traded during Day 3 of the draft-- which is fine because, while he made a few good plays, overall, I wasn't that impressed with him. Along with C.J. and Devontae Booker, Elway has potentially put together a three-headed monster to be reckoned with. Grade: B+

Round 7: QB, Chad Kelly

Being the very last pick of the draft, Chad received the label of "Mr. Irrelevant,"(it's considered an honor as the last pick of the draft) but I deem this one, "Mr, Interesting." Known for his cocky demeanor, he was drafted out of Mississippi (aka Ole Miss). He was highly spoken of in terms of his talent. He has a rocket arm; can make all the throws. He's mobile; he can create and extend plays with his feet. Has an NFL pedigree, being the nephew of Hall of Fame QB Jim Kelly, who was drafted the same year (1983) and round (1st round, of course) as Elway.


So, what was the problem? Well, apparently, he had character issues, (e.g. being kicked off the team when he attended Clemson). He also dealt with injuries, suffering a torn ACL  and lateral meniscus last season, and tore his ACL  during a spring game in 2013. What I noticed is that he's not the most fundamentally sound in his mechanics, and his throws can sail at times.

He has an improvisational, unorthodox style of play, similar to Tony Romo. It has been said that he's  just as good as the QBs who were drafted before him. Some had him ranked as a first rounder, most between the second and fifth-- because of the baggage. Due to his medical and character issues, his stock was expected to drop, but I had no idea he would drop this low.

While I like the pick, his character concerns makes me downgrade him a little overall, until I see otherwise. He'll probably sit out his rookie season to recover, learn, develop, and get adjusted to the next level. He's a high-risk, high-reward guy; I can understand with his upside, that he was too good to pass up. I expect him to make the team as the third string QB this season, and although I like Trevor Siemian's upside (Paxton Lynch's as well), but with Kelly's talent, potential, and aforementioned NFL pedigree, I wouldn't be surprised if he's leading this team long-term in the future. Grade: B-


Conclusion

At the end of the day, I really like this draft class. I believe John Elway managed to draft some who can immediately contribute, and some diamonds in the rough, who will provide quality depth at their positions and become starters in the long run. No, the guy I wanted them to draft (Christian McCaffrey) wasn't available at No. 20, but I believe the players they picked between Days 2 and 3 (C. Henderson, particularly McKenzie, and D. Henderson), will more than bring to the table what I believe McCaffrey will bring to the Panthers. 

I was hoping they would've drafted another offensive lineman, such as a guard, or a guard/center hybrid, but that need was addressed, nevertheless. I await to see what they do this season. I expect them all to make the team, just like last year's rookie class. The Broncos wanted physically and mentally tough and talented players, and they definitely drafted what they were looking for. I love this class. Overall Grade: A-














No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is Jamal Carter?

Saturday was the final countdown for the Broncos to trim their roster down to 53 players. In case you didn't know, and as I'...