Follow @TwitterDev

Thursday, April 20, 2017

#DraftChristianMcCaffrey


During the off-season I started a campaign called #DraftChristianMcCaffrey. Although it was all in fun, I am hoping that the Broncos select Christian McCaffrey, if he's still on the board, with the 20th pick next Thursday night. Yes, an offensive lineman is needed, but with a 2nd round pick and two 3rd round picks, you can find quality offensive lineman in those rounds.

As far as his quest that I've heard he's on to dispel the myth of white athletes, I mean, whatever, that's him. If he's able to accomplish it, more power to him, but I digress. The reasons why I want the Broncos to draft him next week is one, I'll admit, I was a fan of his dad (Ed McCaffrey), who had his best career with the Broncos, so yes, it would be nice to see him follow in his father's footsteps.

Two, I believe his versatile skill set will have an immediate impact on the Broncos in two ways:
Offensively. His dual-threat ability as a running back and receiver. With his 5-11, 203 pound frame, he runs with more power than you would expect from someone his size. He finds and hits the holes quickly; he doesn't tip-toe through the line, and he has the speed and acceleration for the home run plays.



He has the ability to be an extra weapon in the passing game as a sort of an undercover Wes Welker, and again I revert back to his explosiveness and ability to make big plays, which would be a huge help for an offense that lacked this last season. On a side note, he would also be a dangerous safety valve for Trevor Siemian, who thrives in the intermediate-short passing game.

Another area where he is desperately needed is the return game. The Broncos have struggled mightily in this area, and hasn't had an electrifying returner to make the game easier for the offense since Trindon Holliday.

Overall, while I believe Christian McCaffrey is an every down back,0 I don't view him as a 25-30 carries type of back-- I view him as more of the Eric Metcalf type-- which is fine because they have C J Anderson and Devontae Booker to grind out the yards, and he will be an excellent addition and compliment to those guys.

All in all, I believe McCaffrey will be too good to pass up, and if he's still on the board by the time John Elway makes his selection for the 20th pick, #DraftChristianMcCaffrey.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is Jamal Carter?

Saturday was the final countdown for the Broncos to trim their roster down to 53 players. In case you didn't know, and as I'...