Follow @TwitterDev

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

The NFL Top 100 is a Joke


In 2011, the NFL launched a Top 100 show; the concept of it is the players select among themselves who is supposed to be the best from that particular season. I don't watch the show itself anymore, but after the listing for that night-- probably out of habit now-- I'll go back later and check to see who made the list.

This show reminds of the same thoughts I have towards other ranking shows, award shows, etc. It's nothing but a popularity contest, quite honestly, it's a joke. Over the years, I've seen players who normally are top stars in the league, but only played a few games that year due to a season-ending injury, yet players still vote them in for the Top 100 (e.g. Adrian Peterson and J.J. Watt).


They will hit the mark with some individuals on these shows, but to me, it seems to be about who's who that year or season, not who had the best season or who was the most valuable to their team. This brings me to three Broncos who should've made the list: WRs Demaryius Thomas and Emmanuel Sanders, and safety Darian Stewart.

While Demaryius and Emmanuel particularly are very capable of cracking the top 10 or 20, I'm not saying that should've been ranked that high, but they should have been on the list, nonetheless. Again, there were players who barely played and managed to make the list, while these guys still produced 1,000 yards seasons with inexperienced quarterbacks.


Darian Stewart has improved every year with the Broncos, and he's coming off a career season and an alternate Pro Bowl nod. I thought it was disrespectful that he somehow did not make the list. So far, there are two Broncos who made the list. Cornerback Chris Harris was the first Bronco at No. 63, which was way too low, and fellow corner Aqib Talib was ranked at No. 37, which I thought was reasonable.


They're down to the top 10, and I believe Von Miller will be in this bunch, but as disrespectful as they have been to the Broncos with these rankings, it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't make it at all. I'm pretty sure the top two will be America's Sweetheart, the so-called GOAT, Tom Brady, and the so-called "Michael Jordan of football," Aaron Rodgers.


Both suggestions or declarations are ridiculous and laughable, well, actually, the Aaron Rodgers declaration is an insult to MJ. Aaron's great, but he's NOWHERE NEAR Michael Jordan. Anyway, that's my predictions for the final two. If I'm wrong, oh well, it is what it is. Big deal. At the end of the day, whether it be voting for awards (not just football), or top whatever number shows, I see more and more that they're nothing but popularity contests. It's not who's the best, it's who's who.






1 comment:

Who is Jamal Carter?

Saturday was the final countdown for the Broncos to trim their roster down to 53 players. In case you didn't know, and as I'...