Follow @TwitterDev

Tuesday, July 25, 2017

He's Back! The Return of "Kubes"


It has been over a month since I posted my last Broncos blog. Quite frankly, with the off-season being so quiet-- aside from free agency-- there wasn't much to write about. I knew with the 2017-18 NFL season being right around the corner, something would eventually spark me to write another blog, and I can't think of a better way than to re-introduce this man.

After resigning back in January, due to apparent health issues-- I have my own theory about that, but that's another story-- Gary Kubiak, after leading Denver to its third Super Bowl championship two seasons ago is back in Denver, but this time as Senior Personnel Advisor.


His role entails that he will be scouting and evaluating college players while based in the Houston area (his hometown). This allows him to work more closely with his son Klein, who is also a scout in the southwest area, and I'm sure he'll lend an ear to his older son Klint, who is an offensive assistant.

Although I'm happy, excited, and looking forward to what the future holds for Head Coach Vance Joseph, which I believe is an incredibly bright one, I was a little disappointed when Gary walk away. After the Super Bowl season, the Broncos failed to defend the title, not even making the playoffs, despite finishing with a winning record.

There were issues with the consistency of the offense. I thought they started with the potential of looking better than were the season before, but they ended looking worse. To me, part of that was the play-calling becoming predictable. It was one of the things that put Kubiak in hot water when he coached the Houston Texans.

A chance needed to be made. I, for one, wanted to see a more aggressive, but smart and flexible offense, which is what Vance is installing. Not to put a damper on the mood of the blog, but I call it as I see it, and for what it is. What's ironic is that despite everything I pointed out, I still think Kubiak is a good offensive mind. He's an underrated developer of quarterbacks; he doesn't get the same recognition as does Bruce Arians or Andy Reid.


Matt Schaub had his best career as a QB under Kubiak in Houston; Joe Flacco had his most efficient season as a QB under Kubiak's lone season in Baltimore as their offensive coordinator. I thought he did a nice job with Trevor Siemian, considering the situation at hand, and prior to everything that took place afterwards, I was looking forward to see what they could do with another year.

Splish Splash! Taking a Super Bowl championship Gatorade bath. Hopefully, Vance will get one this year.

On top of that, he's a winner, plain and simple. He may not have the resumes of Bill Walsh, Vince Lombardi, or "Bill Belichick," but check this out: He's a four-time Super Bowl Champion. As a QBs coach with the 49ers in 94-95, back-to-back titles during his first stint with Denver as their offensive coordinator (97-98, 98-99), and in 2016 as their head coach.

He's been to a total of seven Super Bowls combined as a player and head coach. His SB victory in 2016 made him the fourth head coach in NFL history to win it during his first year with a team, and the third to win a Super Bowl with a team he once played for.

When he first left Denver to coach Houston in 2005, and came back to coach Denver a decade later, I remember thinking: "I'm glad he's back. I never wanted him to leave Denver in the first place." Now, after a brief retirement, he's back in Denver once again. Welcome back, "Kubes."










No comments:

Post a Comment

Who is Jamal Carter?

Saturday was the final countdown for the Broncos to trim their roster down to 53 players. In case you didn't know, and as I'...